Sitting too often not only causes us to leade a generally more sedentary lifestyle, but it directly causes several mechanical problems in our bodies. These problems can snowball over time and significantly decrease our quality of life.
Common issues that sitting too often may cause:
- Neck and back pain
- Shoulder and arm tightness
- Nerve tension (i.e. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Sciatica, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome)
- Tight hip flexors and hamstrings
- Decreased breathing efficiency and circulation
Proper Desk Ergonomics
Many of us work at a desk or in frontof a computer most of the day. While sitting all day is not ideal, there are some ways to sit optimally while working.
Some quick tips include:
- Keep your monirot or laptop centered and eye-level, to avoid excess strain on the neck and back muscles.
- Keep shoulders and wrists in a rested position. This can help minimize tightness in the shoulders and arms and prevent chronic issues like Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- Keep feet flat and even with knees at about 90 degrees.
Following these simple ergonomic guidlelines can help minimize the negative effects of prolonged sitting. Give them a try and you’ll definitely notice a difference!
*Bonus tip* — Invest in a standing desk! It will be a challenge at first and will take some getting used to standing for longer periods, but will help prevent most of the issues that arise from sitting too often.